Thursday 12 December 2013

The dangers of texting

I feel compelled to write a quick post about the car accident I got into this morning.

I live in Atlanta, GA and as all know who live here, the traffic can be terrible on the freeways to and from work.

On my commute this morning, I saw the car in front of me braking, so I put my foot on the brake. I looked in my rear view mirror at the car behind me and the woman driving was clearly texting and not paying attention to the road in front of her- with her small daughter in the back.

She hit me extremely hard which pushed my car into the large truck in front of me. My car is totaled but luckily and most importantly, my body is fine (although very sore).

Those of us with a long commute know how hard it is to sustain the focus needed to drive really well for that long of a period. We get restless sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic and find it tempting to text, surf the web on our phones, etc.

Today I realized that if one cannot sustain focus on their commute, they just shouldn't drive. If we were driving any faster, my life, the woman's life and her daughter's life would have been taken.

If anyone reads this, PLEASE resist the temptation of texting and driving. Listen to an audio book or some great music but DON'T take your eyes off the road! If your focus cannot be sustained then look into shorter commute options- carpooling or public transport. Hopefully it doesn't take something like what happened to me this morning to realize the importance of this.

- Posted by Olympia

No comments:

Post a Comment